If this gets passed, it will have big time ramifications for our brothers and sisters with disabilities and, by extension, us. Please consider calling. -John
TO: AUCD Network
FROM: Kim Musheno
Below and attached is an action alert that will be sent out by all CCD organizations to their networks regarding the very alarming and harmful cuts in the Budget Committee budget resolution for FY 2012 released last week. For more background information, please see yesterday’s Legislative News In Brief and the analyses written by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.
The House will vote on the FY 12 Budget Resolution Thursday or Friday –Please call!
- Dial the Capitol Switchboard 1-888-245-0215 [toll-free] or 202-224-3121 and ask for the office of your Representative
- Ask to speak to the staff person working on budget issues
- Identify yourself as a constituent and the organization that you represent
- Message to Representatives:
- Please vote NO on the House Budget Committee’s Budget Resolution.
- It would slash Medicaid, Medicare, food stamps, education… in fact, all the investments that help Americans to be economically secure.
- It denies vital help for low-income and middle class people while giving trillions of dollars in tax cuts to millionaires and big corporations.
- People with disabilities disproportionately rely on government services to live, learn and work in their communities. These services assist many people with disabilities to live independently in the community avoiding costly institutional care and increasing the opportunities to work and pay taxes.
- Please reject these extreme proposals; they would weaken federal protections in a recession and stall economic growth for us all.
AUCD is a member of the Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities, a coalition of over 100 national disability organizations working together to advocate for national public policy that ensures the self-determination, independence, empowerment, integration and inclusion of children and adults with disabilities in all aspects of society. For more information, visit www.c-c-d.org or contact the CCD Fiscal Policy Co-chairs: Donna Meltzer (Epilepsy Foundation, Jennifer Dexter (Easter Seals), or Kim Musheno (AUCD).