Our Mission and Core Values
To provide siblings of individuals with disabilities the information, support, and tools to advocate with their brothers and sisters and to promote the issues important to them and their entire families.
The purpose of the Sibling Leadership Network is to promote a broad network of siblings who share the experience of disability and people concerned with sibling issues by connecting them to social, emotional, governmental, and provisional supports across the lifespan enabling them to be effective advocates with their brother and sister, and to serve as change agents for themselves and their families
- Individuals with disabilities have the same rights as all members of society to dignity, respect and the opportunity to grow and to be productive members of their communities.
- Siblings of individuals with disabilities can have a powerful, positive impact on their siblings’ experiences, and are uniquely positioned to help ensure their present and future care in partnership with service organizations and government.
- In promoting the rights of our brothers and sisters, and of all individuals with disabilities, we are committed to advocating for policies and services that meet their needs.
- Siblings can be of great support to one another to enhance both our lives and the lives of our siblings.
SIBLING LEADERSHIP NETWORK LISTSERV
The Sibling Leadership Network Listserv is intended to provide the framework for promoting sibling leaders and information exchange. It is free and easy to join, just click here. The primary focus of this list is to:
- provide updates on the activities of the Sibling Leadership Network
- provide input on what policy issues the Sibling Leadership Network should be focusing on
- announce upcoming sibling-related events
- discuss how to better advocate with/for people with disabilities
- support sibling research efforts